Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children

Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children
What could be better than an Ethiopian welcome, FOVC style?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I read this and it made me so sad!
There are so many children still waiting.


The Waiting Child
by Debbie Bodie

I saw you meet your child today
You kissed your baby joyfully
And as you walked away with her
I played pretend you'd chosen me.

I'm happy for the baby, yet
Inside I"m aching miserably
I want to plead as you go by,
"Does no-one want a child of three?"

I saw you meet your child today
In love with her before you met
And as I watched you take her out
I knew it wasn't my turn yet.

I recognize you from last year!
I knew I'd seen your face before!
But you came for a second babe.
Does no-one want a child of four?

I saw you meet your child today
But this time there was something new
A nurse came in and took MY hand
And then she gave my hand to you.

Can this be true? I'm almost six!
And there are infants here you see?
But then you kissed me and I knew
The child you chose this time was me.



5 comments:

Stacey said...

oh my...this made me cry! I am wondering about all the older kids in orphanages watching the babies get adopted...I thought of our kids and wonder if they have felt this way too. I am excited that in a few short months we will go pick them up...ages 8 and 5!!! I never thought I would adopt older children, but God had different plans for us and I know WE are the ones who are going to be amazingly blessed! Thanks for sharing this.
Stacey C

Sharon said...

Amazing poem, Lory. Thank you for sharing it.

Maureen said...

I will take you home!!! This was too much today - I've been so emotional lately and my heart just breaks thinking about these kids. We are so ready for you - at 3 or 4 or 5...

Shawn said...

Why do you have to make me cry on a Thursday??? JK - that was so beautiful :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.