Thursday, January 29, 2009
In addition to the influenza, she has croup!
She received a breathing treatment and a dose of steroids. Her breathing still sounds awful, but it is less labored.
The rest of us are on tamiflu, in the hopes that we won't catch the flu (and yes, we did get flu shots).
I'm pretty old to pull all-nighters....hopefully I can join Amelia in some naps today.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
And the winner is----influenza!
The poor little baby is so, so sick.
Everyone in our house will start on tamiflu here in a bit. Amelia's breathing is pretty labored, but we'll try to keep her home (vs. in the hospital).
The silver lining in this little gray cloud: lots and lots of snuggles with mom!
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
I was holding Amelia as I clicked on it and started to watch. I guess the drums at the beginning caught her attention, because she turned her head to watch with me.
I know this sounds perhaps overly dramatic, and maybe even not believable, but here is what happened:
As the video played, and as it came to the part where the sick children were laying in the dirt, and then crying....Amelia's little lower lip puckered out further and further, and her eyes well up, and little tears ran down her cheeks. She watched, transfixed, for a few more seconds.
Then she turned her head and snuggled in to me.
If you read our blog, you know Amelia just turned one on January 11.
I don't know what this means, how my baby can be in tune with suffering....but mostly, how this kind of suffering can happen in various places around the world, to children, when we serve a Good God who loves these kids, and there are good people who are willing to help.... I have no words.
Father, what is to be our role?
Monday, January 19, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
- Weighs in at 16 pounds, 9 ounces (up 2 pounds, 5 ounces in the last 10 weeks)
- Measures in at 28.5 inches
So, she's finally on the weight chart (3%) and she's at 25% on the height chart. (I can think of worse things than being tall and thin.)
I think she has recently lost a bit of weight because:
- she has decided she's "done" with baby food, and
- she's not too interested in bottles and not yet interested enough in milk, and
- she's so darn active, she burns calories like a mad woman.
The good news is, she is progressing nicely, and she's right where we hope she would be developmentally. Yea!
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Here's what she does now these days:
- In the past week, Amelia has become a fairly avid crawler...and she gets more adventurous every day.
- She pulls up on everything.
- She cruises around on most things.
- She goes from sit to kneel to stand to sit to crawl to twist to move to rotate to kneel-on-one-knee to crawl to sit to crawl to twist to crawl to kneel--all in about 5 seconds.
- She is done with baby food and will really only eat real people food. She can't quite use a spoon/fork, but she won't eat unless she has one in her hand.
- She's done with bottles, too.
- She is into everything and we (well, I) have our work (well, my work) cut out for me.
She's a real girl! Go, Amelia!
(One year old doctor appointment is coming up next week. We'll see what the doctor thinks!)
Saturday, January 3, 2009
You, too, can go to Wordle and create a "beautiful word cloud" using words that are important to you. It's free, it's fun, it's easy--and dare I say I feel a bit crafty?
Let me know if you make (and post) a Wordle...I'd love to see 'em!
Thursday, January 1, 2009
Napping with Baby...
Sharing a snack with Baby.
Amelia LOVES Baby's opening-and-closing eyes. When we tell her to give Baby a kiss, she leans in for a big ol' wet one. So sweet!
There's nothing like a baby's first Christmas. Christ gave us so many gifts in 2008.