Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children

Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children
What could be better than an Ethiopian welcome, FOVC style?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Before

For those of you waiting for referrals, or waiting to travel, I thought I would post the first pictures of Amelia that we ever received. This first one is her referral picture:




About 4-6 weeks later, we got her medical, which included this photo:



As you can see, she was teeny tiny and sort of pitiful looking. She was too small and probably premature. Our hearts just ached to get her home!

We received several more pictures while we waited to travel...and she typically looked pitiful or sad or like she was in pain. (She didn't start to look more like "herself" until shortly before we traveled.) It was so hard to wait.

I tried to have faith and to trust God, but I must say I struggled with all kinds of fears--realistic and not. Until a person has done an international adoption, I don't think it's possible to understand the love and hope one can have for a child she has never seen or held, who is halfway around the world!

So, I'm posting these "before" pictures today for anyone who is waiting and wondering and trying not to be worrying. I had heard stories about tiny babies, even sick babies, who come home and thrive. And now we have Amelia, who is living proof. Praise God!

6 comments:

Shawn said...

I have to say that we were a little worried when we saw those referral pictures too. But we somehow always knew that she would be ok and that she would be perfect for you. And look at her now, its really unbelievable that it is the same child. She is SO beautiful and I know she will just continue to thrive and grow in your wonderful home. YEAH!!! WE DID IT!!!

shawn

Lory Howlett said...

Yeah, I almost wrote about how many emails and phone calls you received from me during the many times I was sort of overcome with fear!

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Look at the difference - her cheeks are so round and healthy compared with before - that is great. We just got your announcement in the mail and little Amelia was born on Adam and my fifth anniversary - it will be easy to remember her birthday for us! I am so happy for you!

Steph and Evan Griffith said...

Lory,
Thank you for posting Amelia's referral picture. The change in her is amazing!

Jennifer said...

you must have been so scared when you saw the 2nd picture; she looks so sick.......the change in her is unbelievable.......shows you what a little time and a lot of love will do!!
Jenny