Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children

Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children
What could be better than an Ethiopian welcome, FOVC style?

Monday, June 8, 2009

What I (Lory) learned from Kanakuk

Hi, it's Lory. I've enjoyed about 24 hours with Allison since her week at camp ended.

Allison is going to post here in a minute, but I can share what I have learned (so far) from camp:

Allison came back energized, confident, Holy Spirit-glowing, passionate and ready to go. She has shared so many amazing things--I can't believe how much Kanakuk packs into just one week! And all of it seems to have been so intentional on the part of the Father and the Kamp staff!

Allison has talked so much about the concept of "being third." Meaning, God first, others second, self third.

I used to know about being third. I think I used to do a better job of trying to be third. But I have to confess, I'm not so sure how I am doing these days.

I do good things. I do things for others. I do a fair amount of stuff for God. Heck, I'm on staff at church, where I wrangle our nearly 100 small groups... I love God, I love His people, I love my job. I love my family and my friends, and I spend a fair amount of time serving them.

But how much do I do that I don't necessarily want to do? How often do I intentionally humble myself for others? Am I in a rut where I'm "busy for God," but not walking moment-by-moment, hand-in-hand with Him? Because I see a spark and a glow in my daughter today that I'm not positive others would see in me today.

1 comment:

Derek and Betsy said...

Lory- I see a spark and light in you everytime we get together. Be proud of your daughter and yourself. You are a shinning example to your children of love and service to the Lord...DW