I was at Target tonight, and it occurred to me that NOW is the best time for many of us to purchase supplies for our trip. When we travel in December, it will be winter here in the U.S. BUT, it will be summer in Ethiopia! Summer stuff is on clearance in most stores right now, so stock up! Also, you can be sure that "summer" clothes will be hard to find in November or December, right? Here are the kinds of items you will need:
- Females can wear jeans, long pants, longish skirts and crop pants (not shorts)
- Guys can wear jeans or long pants (not shorts)
- Guys and gals can wear short sleeve shirts and t-shirts (not tanks, not sleeveless)
- You will want washable sandals/flip-flops to wear in the guest house and hotel
- You will want close-toed shoes for Addis and Soddo/Shanto....at least 2 pairs!
- You will want a hat or two
- Sunscreen, bug spray, chapstick, lotion, etc etc....you will be hot and dry, especially in Shanto!
- A jacket, hoodie or sweatshirt
- Plan to dress humbly and simply. There is always the chance that some of your clothes might not make it back....so don't bring your designer duds! Also, we do not want to draw even more attention to ourselves by wearing anything but the simplest of clothes. Keep in mind, too, that Africans tend to dress a bit more formally than we do--and not entirely in graphic t's!
- For our pillow case dress makers: please plan to send a simple, inexpensive, solid-color t-shirt with each dress. These types of tops are REALLY CHEAP right now....and you won't be able to find them once fall gets here. Dear friends, please sew some of these dresses! We can't wait to share pictures of the joy on the girls' faces when they receive their very own, new dresses.
with love and thanks,