We are still "in the market" for a bookkeeper/accountant type.
Also, we are sort of "low" on men....are there any men out there who want to join us?
It would be helpful to have someone like an architect, or a builder, come, too. Or someone who is generally handy...?
This is such a rare opportunity--in fact, Desalegn at FOVC emailed today that EOR's huge gift, and our trip, are by far the biggest events in the history of Shanto Village--we are hoping to truly make the most of it. It would be just so incredible if we could encourage the people who live in Shanto AND help FOVC make great progress on building the orphanage, even as they build systems for tracking expenses and expenditures, and even as they are provided with some good health care, and even as the children realize they are not alone....and even as, and even as, and even as....
Most of our potential travelers have to face the dreaded topic of....FUNDRAISING.
I have a few ideas.
- Do you have any skills you can provide in exchange for a donation? For example, a friend of mine is a very talented artist. I suggested she hire herself out for decorative painting jobs, and use the money she earns to fund the trip. (I would happily hire her!)
- Another idea is to send a letter to friends and family. We know a young woman who is in Ethiopia right now. She needed to put together $3400 for her trip. Well, she was able to raise over $4000 by sending a fundraising letter to friends, family and co-workers. Our dear friend who is joining us on the trip just emailed a fundraising letter this morning....and he has already been contacted by people who want to support him!
- Our "Bigs" raised over $200 dollars, on one Sunday morning, for our 2008 trip, just by setting up a table in our church lobby, and asking people for pocket change. They called it "Change 4 Change."
- On EOR's blog, there is a post called "Make A Stand." Apparently, people will spend a fair amount of money for lemonade, especially when they know it's for such a good cause!
- Our Bigs also raised over $2000 by organizing at fundraiser at our local Chick-Fil-A.
- What about scheduling a fundraiser, or a lemonade stand, or a "Change 4 Change" campaign, and asking your local newspaper to do a human interest story? Our daughters really raised awareness for their fundraiser because it was featured in our newspaper.
I believe that people WANT to help. Because I believe that people WANT to change the world. For any possible trip-goers who are concerned about the finances, I'm going to be praying for you!
Can any of you in the blogosphere share additional ideas for fundraising?